Greetings Food Lovers!!!
We are back with another fun and easy recipe!
Today we bring to you a delicious South Indian food called Sambhar Vada.
Sambhar Vada can be eaten as a snack or appetizer dish,
Cuisine : South Indian
Cook time – 45 minutes
This dish consists of vadas which are soft and fluffy on the inside and crispy outside. A Vada is usually circular shaped with a hole in the middle [like a donut!]
These fluffy Vadas are made of Urad dal. They can be eaten as a snack without any other addititons as well.
But these Vadas are definitely made tastier by soaking them in spicy Sambhar and and garnishing them with onions, green chili and coriander leaves.
Sambhar is a well-loved companion of many South Indian delicacies. It is spicy and savoury which complements the Vadas very well. Hence, this is a popular dish which will can easily satisfy your taste buds!
Read on to find out how to make this palatable dish!
Serves 6-8 people.
- Dhuli Urad Dal – 1 cup
- Dhuli Moong Dal – 1/4 cup
- Salt – To Taste
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Heeng – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tablespoon
- Dahi – 2 tablespoon
- Green Chili – 2 [chopped]
- Put the Urad dal and Moong dal in a bowl and add 4 cups of water.
- Let the dal soak overnight.
- The next day, Drain the water from the bowl.
- Put the dal in a grinder and add Ginger, Heeng and required amount of water and blend all the ingredients.
Do not grind the batter too much. The batter should be soft and fluffy.
- Put the batter into a bowl.
- Add Salt, Green Chili, Cumin seeds and Dahi.
- Mix all the ingredients with the help of a whisk.
- Take a cup of water and add a drop of the batter into the cup.
- If the drop of batter sinks, whisk the batter again for 4-5 minutes.
- If the drop of batter floats, then continue onto the next step.
FRYING VADAS –
- Put a pan on medium flame. Heat oil in the pan.
- Take water in a cup and wet your hands with it.
- Take about one tablespoon full of the batter in your hand and give it a circular shape.
- With the help of your thumb, make a hole in the centre of the round-shaped batter.
- Now, gently drop the Vada into the pan.
- Fry it for 2-3 minutes.
- Similarly heat the other side of the Vada for 2-3 minutes till it turns golden-brown.
- Drain the oil from the Vada and place it on a napkin to remove excess oil.
- Repeat these steps for frying all Vadas,
- Arhar dal/Tur dal – 1/2 cup
- Vegetables [Pumpkin, Brinjal, Drumsticks, French beans, Beet roots] – 1/2 cup [roughly chopped]
- Onion – 1 [thickly sliced]
- Tomato – 1 [chopped]
- Sugar – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric – 1/2 teaspoon
- Kashmiri Red Chili powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Chaat Masala – 1/2 teaspoon
- Rinse the dal.
- In a pressure cooker, add the dal, 1 cup water, Salt and Turmeric powder. Cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Put a pan on flame and add 1 and a half tablespoon oil on medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté for a minute.
- Put all chopped vegetables into the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon Salt, Turmeric powder, Kashmiri Red Chili powder, Chaat Masala and Sugar into the pan.
- Add 1 cup of water and stir.
- Cover the pan and cook for 8-10 minutes.
Do NOT over cook the vegetables.
- Now mash the dal.
- Add all vegetables and Tamarind pulp into the dal. If required add 1/4 cup of warm water.
- Add 2 tablespoon of Sambhar powder and mix well with the dal mixture.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes on medium heat.
- Remove the pan from flame.
TADKA [For Sambhar] –
- Mustard oil – 1 tablespoon
- Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Dry Red Chili – 2
- Curry leaves – 10-12
- Methi Seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- Heeng – a pinch
- Put a tadka pan on flame.
- Add oil and heat for a minute.
- Add Mustard seeds, dry Chili, Curry leaves, Heeng and Methi seeds.
- Fry for 3-4 minutes till the ingredients change their colour.
- Immediately add the tadka to the Sambhar pan.
- Cover the Sambhar with a lid and cook for 5 minutes.
- Coriander leaves – 2 tablespoon [chopped]
- Namkeen bhujia – 1/2 cup
- Onion – 1 [chopped]
- Tomato – 1 [chopped]
- Green Chili – 2 [chopped]
- Tomato Ketchup/Saunth chutney – To taste
- Green Chutney – To Taste
- Add the Vadas in the Sambhar pan and cook for 5 minutes on a medium flame.
- Take a serving plate and put 2 Vadas on it. Add more Sambhar.
- Also add your preferred sauces as well as chopped onion, tomato and green chili.
- Finally, add Namkeen bhujia and garnish with chopped Coriander leaves.
- Serve the Vadas hot and enjoy!
Do tell us if you like this recipe.
Also keep an eye on other fun and easy recipes coming out soon!
Thank You for reading!!!
होटल जैसा सांभर वडा | Sambhar vada | Medu Vada | Chef Bhupi | Honest Kitchen
Recipe name Medu Vada
Preparing time 8 hours( Soaking time \u0026 Fermentation time ) + 15 Minutes
Cooking time 10 minutes
Serving 1012 piece
Urad dal 250 gm
Oil 1 tsp for Batter
Oil for frying
Salt to taste
Black pepper 1 tsp
Green coriander1 tbsp
My gears when I am cooking
Steel pan 20” https://amzn.to/2V0aUYz
Chef knife (Big knife)https://amzn.to/2AsoniB
Tomato knife (small knife)https://amzn.to/2V0QyhW
Handi ( Lagan) https://amzn.to/37SYCrB
Hawkins 3.5 lit steel https://amzn.to/2NstPIL
Wonderchef Granite Cookware 3 piece Set with 26cm Dosa Tawahttps://amzn.to/31fRvIg
Chef knife Bighttps://amzn.to/381ywm5
Weighting scale https://amzn.to/31jQgI1
Camera Main https://amzn.to/3j3tDhI
My Grocery King
Veg aromat powder https://amzn.to/3e9nLk6
Dry yeast powderhttps://amzn.to/3d5oam7
Tatri (citric acid)https://amzn.to/37zdX0l
Light soya saucehttps://amzn.to/3fQ5usq
Dark soya saucehttps://amzn.to/3hYsuaH
Kikkoman soya saucehttps://amzn.to/2VdCfI3
Siracha hot chili saucehttps://amzn.to/3hYsO9p
Vinegar white https://amzn.to/3hZbIrL
Fitkari powder https://amzn.to/2DaPQtQ
Follow at Facebook pagehttps://www.facebook.com/Chefrawat23
Follow at Instagram handle https://www.instagram.com/honest.kitchen.chefbhupi/
medu vada,medu vada recipe in hindi,medu vada banane ka tarika,medu vada banane ka tarika hindi mai,medu vada recipe,urad dal vada recipe,crispy urad dal vada,sambar vada,sambar vadai recipe,sambar bade ki recipe,sambar vadai recipe,sambar bade ki recipe
Video link ( Sambar)